How You Can Help
Making a difference in a patient’s hospital stay
The road to recovery starts with you. Supporting patients during their stay at Desert Regional Medical Center is a compassionate way to show you care. How can you help? One way to begin is by learning more about your loved one’s treatment options and condition, so you can provide the right kind of care — before, during and after a hospital stay.
Other ways to make a patient’s stay better:
- Create a hospital stay checklist. Ask your loved one what they will need, and offer to pack for them.
- Arrive at the hospital on time by planning your route beforehand.
- Decorate the hospital room with small personal items from home, such as children’s drawings and photographs.
- Learn the names of medical staff members and communicate with them often.
- Prepare a list of approved visitors so your loved one doesn’t have to worry about it during the hospital stay.
- Make a checklist of tasks that need to happen after your hospital stay:
- Fill any post-surgery prescriptions
- Keep track of medications and when to take them
- Stock the house with healthy foods and beverages
- Decide who will manage tasks once the patient is ready to leave:
- Who will drive the patient home?
- Who will take care of children or pets?
- Who will prepare meals, clean the house or do laundry?